[daip] gain missing in APCAL

Arnaud Collioud Arnaud.Collioud at obs.u-bordeaux1.fr
Fri Sep 12 03:10:11 EDT 2014

Hi Amy,

So, let's start with the beginning...
1/ I loaded the data (VLBA_RDV98_rdv98_BIN0_SRC0_0_130509T165359.idifits from NRAO archive) with FITLD. I selected only the X-band data using BIF/EIF. In this case, the 2nd frequency band (here S-band) is still present in some tables (like FQ table).

AIPS 1: FITLD:  Task to store an image or UV data from a FITS tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Input tape drive # (0 => 1)
AIPS 1: NFILES        0                    # of files to advance on tape
AIPS 1: DATAIN     'TEMP:RDV98.idifits'    Disk file name
AIPS 1: OUTNAME    'RDV98_X'             File name (name)
AIPS 1: OUTCLASS   'UVDATA'                File name (class)
AIPS 1: OUTSEQ        0                    File name (seq. #)
AIPS 1:                                       0 => highest unique number
AIPS 1:                                         => matching (on VLBA)
AIPS 1:                                      -1 => FITS tape value
AIPS 1: OUTDISK       1                    Disk drive # (0 => any)
AIPS 1: OPTYPE     ' '                     Type of data to load,
AIPS 1:                                    '  ' => all types
AIPS 1:                                    'UV' => UV data
AIPS 1:                                    'IM' => images
AIPS 1: NCOUNT        0                    Number of files to load.
AIPS 1: DOTABLE       1                    True (1.0) means load tables
AIPS 1:                                    for images.
AIPS 1: DOUVCOMP      1                    >0 => compressed data (FITS)
AIPS 1: DOCONCAT      0                    >0 -> if VLBA correlator data
AIPS 1:                                    append data to existing
AIPS 1:                                    files, or if no appropriate
AIPS 1:                                    files exist create a new file
AIPS 1:                                    and append all data to that
AIPS 1:                                    file.
AIPS 1: DOKEEP        1                    > 0 -> keep fully flagged
AIPS 1:                                    data records
AIPS 1: NPIECE        0                    Maximum uv table piece to
AIPS 1:                                    load (ignored for tape unless
AIPS 1:                                    NCOUNT = 1)
AIPS 1: ERROR        -1                    >= 2 -> do not use AIPS
AIPS 1:                                    history in the FITS file
AIPS 1:                                    *****************************
AIPS 1:                                    Following adverbs are useful
AIPS 1:                                    only when reading VLBA IDI
AIPS 1:                                    distribution tapes.
AIPS 1:                                    *****************************
AIPS 1: CLINT         0.5                  CL entry interval (min)
AIPS 1:                                    0 => 1 minute.
AIPS 1: SOURCES    *all ' '                Source list to accept.
AIPS 1: QUAL         -1                    Source qualifier -1=>all
AIPS 1: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Timerange selected
AIPS 1: BCHAN         1                    Lowest spectral channel
AIPS 1:                                    number to select in each IF.
AIPS 1:                                    0=>1
AIPS 1: ECHAN         0                    Highest spectral channel
AIPS 1:                                    number to select in each IF.
AIPS 1:                                    0=>highest
AIPS 1: BIF           1                    Lowest IF number 0=>1
AIPS 1: EIF           4                    Highest IF number 0=>all
AIPS 1: DIGICOR       1                    Controls the application of
AIPS 1:                                    the VLBA and DIFX correlator
AIPS 1:                                    digital correction.
AIPS 1:                                    0 or 1 => perform corrections
AIPS 1:                                    2 => perform cross-power
AIPS 1:                                      corrections, do total-power
AIPS 1:                                      only if zero padding used.
AIPS 1:                                    -1 => do NOT perform
AIPS 1:                                      corrections.
AIPS 1:                                    SEE HELP for more details
AIPS 1: REFDATE    ' '                     Reference date. 'yyyymmdd'
AIPS 1:                                       before or = the obs date
AIPS 1:                                       ' ' => the obs date
AIPS 1: SELBAND      -1                    Bandwidth to select (kHz)
AIPS 1: SELFREQ      -1                    Frequency to select (MHz).
AIPS 1:                                    See HELP.
AIPS 1: FQTOL        -1                    Frequency tolerance assigned
AIPS 1:                                    to SELFREQ, FITLD will select
AIPS 1:                                    data with freq. of SELFREQ
AIPS 1:                                    +/- FQTOL.
AIPS 1:                                    The unit of FQTOL is kHz.
AIPS 1:                                    <=0 => 10 kHz
AIPS 1: WTTHRESH      0                    Flagging threshold based on
AIPS 1:                                    weights. See HELP.
AIPS 1:                                    0 => no flagging
AIPS 1:                                    1 => will flag ALL data
AIPS 1: OPCODE     ' '                     Specify if wish to keep VT
AIPS 1:                                    (VLBA Tape Statistics) table
AIPS 1:                                    and other tables.  See HELP.
AIPS 1:                                    '  ' => do not save tables
AIPS 1: ANTNAME    *all ' '                List antenna station names in
AIPS 1:                                    desired order (IDI data only)

2/ I ran VLBAMCAL (I already sent the output in a previous email)

3/ I ran USUBA with these params:

AIPS 1: USUBA     Task to assign subarrays within a uv-data file
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INNAME     'RDV98_X'             Input UV file name (name)
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'UVDATA'                Input UV file name (class)
AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Input UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: INDISK        1                    Input UV file disk unit #
AIPS 1: OPCODE     'AUTO'                  Opcode:
AIPS 1:                                     Automated identification:
AIPS 1:                                     'SCAN': print only.
AIPS 1:                                     'AUTO': modify data.
AIPS 1:                                     else, use INFILE or input
AIPS 1:                                     adverbs to define subarrays
AIPS 1:
AIPS 1:                                    Subarray selection:
AIPS 1: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Time range to use. 0=>all
AIPS 1: ANTENNAS   *all 0                  Antenna numbers 0=>all
AIPS 1: SOURCES    *all ' '                Source list
AIPS 1: FREQID       -1                    Frequency id.
AIPS 1: SUBARRAY      0                    Subarray, 0=>next
AIPS 1: INFILE     *all ' '                External text file; subarray
AIPS 1:                                    selection adverbs ignored in
AIPS 1:                                    this case.

4/ Then INDXR to update NX and CL tables

AIPS 1: INDXR     Task to index a uv data base.
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INNAME     'RDV98_X'             Input UV file name (name)
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'UVDATA'                Input UV file name (class)
AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Input UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: INDISK        1                    Input UV file disk unit #
AIPS 1: INFILE     *all ' '                Input file for forced scan
AIPS 1:                                    breaks
AIPS 1: PRTLEV        1                    Print level
AIPS 1: CPARM         0           0        1=> max. time gap (min).
AIPS 1:               0.5         1            0 => use self-adaptive
AIPS 1:               1        *rest 0         method, like other tasks
AIPS 1:                                    2=> max scan length (min).
AIPS 1:                                        0 => 60 min
AIPS 1:                                    3=> CL/CS entry interval in
AIPS 1:                                        minutes.   0 => 5 min,
AIPS 1:                                        < 0 => don't create a
AIPS 1:                                        new table.
AIPS 1:                                    4=> VLBA only: recalculate
AIPS 1:                                        CL entry group delays
AIPS 1:                                        using IM table data.
AIPS 1:                                        0 => No recalculation,
AIPS 1:                                        1 => Recalculate delays.
AIPS 1:                                    5=> VLBA only: recalculate
AIPS 1:                                        CL entry atmospheric
AIPS 1:                                        group delays and clock
AIPS 1:                                        offsets using MC table
AIPS 1:                                        data.
AIPS 1:                                        0 => No recalculation
AIPS 1:                                        1 => Recalculate delays
AIPS 1:                                    6=> single-dish only: maximum
AIPS 1:                                        "antenna"/"beam" number
AIPS 1:                                        in data set (if no AN)
AIPS 1: BPARM      *all 0                  VLA and EVLA ONLY: Opacity
AIPS 1:                                    and Gain-curve control
AIPS 1:                                    (see help)
AIPS 1: CALIN      ' '
AIPS 1:                                    Antenna gains file

5/ I loaded specific flag info with UVFLG (probably not relevant for this issue)

6/ I ran ANTAB as described in my last email.
I am retrieving tsys and gain from outside (file *.cal + vlba_gains.key for the VLBA ; log files and ENV script antabfs.pl for the other stations). So I have no use of TY/GC 1.

7/ Then APCAL

If you cannot reproduce the bug, I can always send my process UVDATA file to you, so you may examine it directly...

BTW, I do not know if it matters but I run AIPS 31DEC14 on a Mac.

Cheers,
Arnaud