[daip] Absolute to offset coordinates

Andy Biggs abiggs at eso.org
Thu Oct 23 06:44:48 EDT 2014

Hi Eric. I didn't explain very well I think. My main question concerns
having 2 source positions for which you want to measure the delta_ra and
delta_dec. The latter is easy, but for the former you multiply by
cos(dec). The question concerns which declination to use. I have always
done what AIPS does, but others seem to take an average.

More specifically, in the OT we can allow a user to enter telescope
pointing positions as absolute coordinates, but these can then be
converted into their delta_ra and _dec equivalents, these being
referenced to the source position. I have always done this like AIPS i.e.

delta_ra = (ra2 - ra1) * cos(dec1)

where ra1, dec1 is the source position. Others seem to use

delta_ra = (ra2 - ra1) * cos((dec1 + dec2) / 2).

There is, for example, an offset calculator at Keck that uses the latter:

http://www2.keck.hawaii.edu/inst/common/offset.php

Presumably AIPS is doing the right thing...

Cheers,

Andy

--

Andy Biggs