[daip] Fwd: Re: frequency dependent correction in IMAGR

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 16 10:41:02 EDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: frequency dependent correction in IMAGR
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 08:32:14 -0600
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu>
To: Nicholas Wrigley <Nicholas.Wrigley at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk>

On 10/16/2014 06:34 AM, Nicholas Wrigley wrote:
> Hi Eric
>
> I have tried both with and without parseltongue, using the FLUX threshold. Without parseltongue, imagr still bombs out - with no error message. With parseltongue, the imagr error ‘-999’ is reported. Is there something in the MNJ (that we have not yet set up) that you could have changed since the 31DEC14 release. I have tried 2 different machines - I am thinking that there is something wrong with our AIPS installation here at Jodrell.

Perhaps the -999 is done by ParselTongue rather than aips.  Usually
error numbers less than zero in aips mean the user has requested some
sort of termination rather than a hard failure although it can also
occur on - no error other than no data meeting the selection adverbs.

Your English leaves a lot to be desired - what does "bombs out" mean?
Your previous e-mails have stated that no matter how high the NITER, one
or more (??) major cycles before reaching it, the task just hangs and
has to be killed externally.  (You have not said whether it is getting
cpu as it hangs or not - that is an essential piece of info for
debugging).  Now with a second way to have it close normally what has it
done?  Has it reached the FLUX level and then ???

The MNJ is set up by the installation process.  In the $HOME area of the
process that did the installation there is a file named do_daily.<xxx>
where <xxxx> is the name of the machine on which the installation was
performed.  One simply executes that file.  Before doing that one should
check the file $SYSLOCAL/UPDCONFIG.  That file defines e-mail
address(es) to send the MNJ report and the install.pl rarely gets those
correct.