[daip] [!4953]: aips - Running XGAUS

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Mon May 26 17:10:47 EDT 2014

Eric Greisen updated #4953
--------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)
                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 27 May 2014 08:49 PM)

Running XGAUS
-------------

           Ticket ID: 4953
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 23 May 2014 08:49 PM
             Updated: 26 May 2014 09:10 PM

For spectral-line fitting you must use the TRANS image.
It fits Gaussians on the X axis.

The FLUX value MUST be set to a value.  Try 10*sigma or even 100*sigma.
Also try PIXVAL=0.  It is plotting only those pixels with peak value 0.585 mJy
and, at first, you want to plot everything to see what you are doing.  The
error messages indicate that it is getting a very bad fit but does not get any
guidance from you due to PIXVAL.  It is trying hopeless pixels because FLUX
rather than a reasonable starting point for doing fitting.  (You can re-start
later with the same table and a lower FLUX.)

I attach the draft of my memo on such things, which is fairly complete for
XGAUS.

Staff CP:  https://help.nrao.edu/staff