[daip] [!4920]: aips - XGAUS

Lynn D Matthews do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Tue May 13 19:06:16 EDT 2014

Lynn D Matthews updated #4920
-----------------------------

XGAUS
-----

           Ticket ID: 4920
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 13 May 2014 11:06 PM
             Updated: 13 May 2014 11:06 PM
                 Due: 15 May 2014 11:06 PM (2d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 21 May 2014 11:06 PM (8d 0h 0m)

I have been trying XGAUS for the first time and have a couple of questions.

First, I frequently see the message:

 FIT ROUTINE RETURNS ERROR CODE -1

even when my fit parameters look sensible. What triggers this error? Is the program judging my fit poor based on some criterion that I have control over?

The second question concerns the PIXVAL parameter. I don't understand its intended function. The default value is 0, but if one leaves it set to that, the program goes into a seemingly infinite loop, spewing error messages like:

XGAUS1: XGAUCH PARAMETER  5 VALUE  5.87526E-01 OUT OF RANGE
XGAUS1: Restart TV because of failure
XGAUS1: Gaussian 1   3.721578     -0.02     0.588
XGAUS1: Gaussian 2   3.721578     -0.02     0.588
etc.

One can only stop it by killing XGAUS outside of AIPS.

To avoid trouble, I end up setting it to some very large value, but I assume that that can't be the intent.

Lynn