[daip] the problem of AIPS installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 13 16:06:52 EDT 2014

宁煌 wrote:
> *Hello,Eric Greisen!My name is Ning Huang.I am a student in Guilin
> University of Electronic Technology in China.I tried to install AIPS*
> *by binary installation in different linux
> system(**ubuntu10.4,ubuntu12.04,fedora19).But they all*
> *failed.I got the same error:*
> **
> *rsync: getaddrinfo: ftp.aoc.nrao.edu <ftp://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu> 873: Name
> or service not known
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122)
> [Receiver=3.0.7]
> rsync: getaddrinfo: ftp.aoc.nrao.edu <ftp://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu> 873: Name
> or service not known
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122)
> [Receiver=3.0.7]
> rsync: getaddrinfo: ftp.aoc.nrao.edu <ftp://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu> 873: Name
> or service not known
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122)
> [Receiver=3.0.7]
> cp: cannot stat `LINUX/SYSTEM/MASTER/AIPS': No such file or directory
> cp: omitting directory `LINUX/SYSTEM/MASTER/CVS'
> cp: cannot stat `LINUX/SYSTEM/MASTER/aips': No such file or directory
> rm: cannot remove `AIPS': No such file or directory
> rm: cannot remove `aips': No such file or directory
> rm: cannot remove `UPDCONFIG': No such file or directory
> AipsWiz:         -- done.
> AipsWiz:
> The AIPS Midnight Job is a way to keep your AIPS
> AipsWiz: installation up to date.  It is secure, relatively
> AipsWiz: easy, and can be done on demand or in a cron job
> AipsWiz: (i.e. periodically, daily or weekly or whenever).
> AipsWiz: It does require that you have the cvs software
> AipsWiz: package installed on your system.*
> *AipsWiz: This script will set up the infrastructure for you
> AipsWiz: to be *able* to run the Midnight Job (MNJ), but you
> AipsWiz: have the power to make it run or not.*
> *chgrp: cannot access `MAKE.BMNJ': No such file or directory
> AipsWiz: About to run 'MAKE.BMNJ '...
> AipsWiz: This will generate a fair bit of output.
> .: 1: Can't open /home/ninghuang/aips13/31DEC13/LINUX/SYSTEM/NING/CDVER.SH
> AipsWiz: Not good; no
> /home/ninghuang/aips13/31DEC13/LINUX/SYSTEM/NING/UPDCONFIG found; did
> MAKE.BMNJ fail?
> AipsWiz: You should investigate this.
> AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge:: ^C
> AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
> AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.*
> **
> *what shuold I do? *
> **

I am not sure - this is a system message that says that our ftp site
cannot be located by your computer.  Perhaps this means that the
people who manage your computer systems have forbidden the use of
"rsync" to most sites (it is a somewhat dangerous tool but I promise
that our site is safe).  To do a binary installation, you will need to
be able to run rsync and to do the MNJ to keep it up to date you will
also need rsync.