[daip] aips setjy

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 11 11:31:40 EDT 2014

Cao Hongmin wrote:

> Hi Eric
>
> VLBI dataset:
>
> If the source is very strong, e.g. the flux density larger than several
> *JY*,
> do we need use setjy to set the flux density of the source before we run
> apcal (?)
>
> If we don't do so, whether the amplitude calibration is still properly
> calibrated ?
> (If we do so, the problem is how to find the total flux density of the
> source,
> some sources may have variability)

VLBI amplitude calibration is done in a different way than VLA.  For
VLBI, APCAL uses the system temperature information (plus gain curves)
to generate amplitude scaling.  For VLA, the scaling comes from the
ratio of the visibilities of point sources (or model sources) to the
expected total flux of known calibrators.  GETJY is also used to take
the flux of known calibrators and find the fluxes of more variable
("unknown") calibrators.

You do not need SETJY at all for VLBI data.