[daip] AIPS installation issue

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 31 15:48:36 EDT 2014

On 07/29/2014 10:59 AM, Sayali Avachat wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
> I am trying to install AIPS on my Linux machine (Fedora 15, Gnome
> version 6.0.1).
> I am running the binary installation and followed the steps in the
> install guide provided on website.
> After the installation start (step 11), I came across following error -
> Data disk assignments:
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>: This program is untested under Perl
> version 5.012
>    (Using global default file /data/solo/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>)
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL> error - no disks selected at all
> This is a FATAL error and nothing in AIPS will work.

> HELP!  No Defined data areas!  You can proceed now to run
> program FILAIP, but you may see LOTS of complaints about
> not being able to access the message file.  If you think
> there should have been some data areas defined, please
> check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*
> If you want to proceed, enter YES (uppercase) now:
> AipsWiz: Error: FILAIP did not work, or there's a missing file!
> AipsWiz: Error: This may mean that FILAIP did not work (it should have
> AipsWiz: Error: created it and many other files in that area).
> AipsWiz: Error: You can try running it by hand after (a) dotting the
> AipsWiz: Error: LOGIN.SH file or sourcing the LOGIN.CSH file; and
> AipsWiz: Error: (b) Typing 'RUN FILAIP'.  You will then be asked for
> AipsWiz: Error: two parameters.  Use
> 8 2
>
> AipsWiz: Error: as the standard values.
> AipsWiz: Error: You will also have to RUN POPSGN if that works;
>
> AipsWiz: Error: Feed it
>
> 0 POPSDAT TST
>

> AipsWiz: Error: when it asks for Idebug, etc. and press RETURN when
> AipsWiz: Error: you see the '>' prompt.
>

> AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
> AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.
>
> I remember defining data areas during installation and can see them in
> DADEVS.LIST and NETSP files.
> I have set the $AIPS_ROOT and data area defined in the format -
>   $AIPS_ROOT/data_area , where data_area is replaced by actual name of
> the disk.
> What could be going wrong here?
> Any help is appreciated. Please let me know if you need any more
> information.

The start-up script is ready to deal with sites like here at the AOC
with 100+ computers able to run aips.  Therefore, it looks through the
list for data areas containing the current host name and includes only
those.  The exception to this rule is that all areas marked as
"required" (with a + sign in column 1 rather than a 1) will be included.
  We usually make link files, e.g. /DATA/PRIMATE_1, /DATA/PRIMATE_2,
etc. which point at real data areas and then put the
/DATA/PRIMATE_n names in DADEVS.LIST.

When you fix this issue

RUN FILAIP
8 2