[daip] [!5157]: aips - Trouble with TARS

David H Roberts do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 10 16:08:00 EDT 2014

David H Roberts updated #5157
-----------------------------

Trouble with TARS
-----------------

           Ticket ID: 5157
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 10 July 2014 08:07 PM
             Updated: 10 July 2014 08:07 PM
                 Due: 14 July 2014 08:07 PM (4d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 18 July 2014 08:07 PM (8d 0h 0m)

This is for Eric-

We are still working on the Faraday Rotation Measure Synthesis of SS433 using JVLA data at C band spanning 4.5 - 8.5 GHz. I have been trying to model the source using code I wrote win Mathematica, using a realistic frequency coverage to match the observations. My Mathematica code seems to pass the test of a simple foreground screen, and I’ve been trying to reproduce the results using TARS. The only trouble is that it doesn’t work (for me).

The simple model is a foreground screen of Faraday depth -1000 rad/m^2. Both routines give the same RMTF. The DIRTY spectrum should be the RMTF shifted to -1000 rad/m^2, and the Mathematica code reproduces this. However, when I put the Q’s and U’s into TARS I don’t get that at all. I must be doing something wrong… (there is apparently a sign difference between the two sets of code but that isn’t the problem).

Attached are the Q&U data and the output of both routines. Do you see something obviously wrong in what I’m doing?

I will be in Socorro from July 12-26 and would like to talk to you about all of this if you are in town.

Dave

Staff CP:  https://help.nrao.edu/staff