[daip] Problems with DiFX detected PCAL in AIPS.

R. Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 3 00:55:44 EST 2014

I am trying to understand some strange behavior of the DiFX detected
pulse cal at LA (and other stations to a lesser degree).  Basically
the DiFX detected tone phases displayed in AIPS show variations that
are not see in the on-site detected pcal data from the legacy system.

Looking at the PC data in AIPS with PRTAB, I have found that the two
tones are billed as having the same frequency.  But the phases are
different, so they probably really are from different frequencies as
they are supposed to be.  Having the frequencies billed as the same
means that solving for IF delays from the tones should not be
possible.  But I do have some solutions, although many if not most
solution intervals seem to have failed ("INDE" for real and imag and
"Infinity" for mbdelay and delay as displayed in PRTAB, but 1.0 for
the weights).

Walter - what do you know about the tones claiming to have the same
frequency?  This sounds like a fairly bad bug.  I checked and this was
true for my runs in Jan 2013 and Dec 2013 with the PFB and in June
2013 with the DDC.

It is reasonably easy to fix the tone frequencies with TABED - just add
the difference frequency to the appropriate column.  I did that using
a guess for the second frequency to see what would happen.  That
created PC 2.

I then reran VLBAPCOR.  The help for VLBAPCOR says that it uses the
highest numbered PC table, which comes from using DEFAULT PCCOR which
gives INVER 0.  But the messages from my first try claimed that table
1 is used.  But later I tried an explicit test with INVER 0 and it
seem to have worked, so who knows what happened.

While at it, I'll note that DEFAULT TABED sets the outdisk to 1.  I'm
using disk 5 and wanted my table to default to go on the input file,
so I almost got nailed.  I'm not sure what was meant to happen there,
but I don't think defaulting to 1 is good.

After the initial trouble getting PCCOR to use PC 2 using VLBAPCOR, I
ran it separately and forced the PC version to 2.  This solution got
exactly the same DELAY as with PC 1.  I even tried deleting PC 1 (I'm
using a test data set) and the solutions stayed the same, so it wasn't
a problem of using the wrong table.  It seems that PCCOR's operation
is not sensitive to the frequency of the second tone.  I don't
understand that.  Anyone have a clue?

The MBDELAY in the SN table is constant over 7 significant digits
throughout the run.  That doesn't sound right if it is meant to be
based on the pcal data at least in part.  The IF DELAYs do vary.

So I haven't made much progress yet for trying to figure out if the LA
DiFX pcal issue shows just phase variations, indicative of an LO
issue, or a delay issue, indicative of a path length change, using
PCCOR.  I don't understand the lack of sensitivity to the frequency of
the second tone and I don't understand why most of the solutions
failed.

The SN table from PCCOR has single and multi-band delays as noted
above and as seen with PRTAB.  When I try to plot the DELAY with
SNPLT, that program acts like they are all zero.  You get the "TICINC:
POSITION ROUTINES FAIL ON THIS IMAGE" message and the plot has no
scale and a straight line of data.  If you force the scale with PIXR,
the data continue to act like they are all zero.  I am guessing that
the DELAY columns in the SN table from PCCOR are not being recognized
by SNPLT as delays, but that is only a wild guess.  I'm sure I have
looked at delays from FRING with SNPLT in the past, so this is rather
curious.  Is it possible?

I suppose I could try the plot with TAPLT, but it has lots of inputs
and it's getting late.  I'll try later.  Time to quit for the day.
All of the above is on my Mac at home with a current AIPS installed
last week.  I could make a stripped down data set if that would be
useful, but the current data cannot be seen from the AOC.

Cheers,

Craig