[daip] AIPS installation error

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Dec 2 15:57:05 EST 2014

Hi,
    I was trying to install AIPS (v:31DEC14) with a text installation.
It is showing an error in APLGEN module. I am using LUBUNTU 14.04. The
files that are unable to compile are:

APLGEN.LIS:/opt/aips/31DEC14/APL/DEV/ZMSSRV.FOR
APLGEN.LIS:/opt/aips/31DEC14/APL/DEV/ZTKSRV.FOR
APLGEN.LIS:/opt/aips/31DEC14/APL/DEV/ZTVSRV.FOR
1. Please use daip at nrao.edu for queries of this sort.  bananas goes to
an awful lot of people if I approve the message.

2. Why are you doing a text installation?  Do you plan to write your own
AIPS programs?  If not, then you should do a binary installation.  It
avoids compiler issues and gets you load modules that run faster than
those produced by GNU compilers.

3. The routines you have enclosed are stub routines which should never
be compiled in the installation if the machine's architecture is
specified properly.  An Ubuntu machine is usually LINUX or LNX64 (for
64-bit os), in which case these stub routines would not be the ones
chosen to compile.

4. I worry about your compiler if it cannot compile a routine that
simply returns.  You did not send the compiler error messages so I have
no idea how to evaluate the situation.  There are compilers out there
that are too smart for their own good - our code is legitimate Fortran
77 but some compilers complain about correct if possibly dangerous
usages (which we do properly).