[daip] Y2K help!

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 22 11:19:40 EDT 2014

Xingying Liu wrote:
> I tried to specified datain in this process(between GET Y2KINIT and TPUT Y2K), but the value of datain doesn't change. I have once changed datain successfully, but I don't remember how I did it. I found in the Y2K.HLP that the read process consists of the following steps:
>
>       CLRMSG
>       GET Y2KINIT
>       Specify DDISK, MDISK, TDISK, and IOTAPE or Y2KDISK
>       // specify  datain='MYY2K:Y2KLUVDATA'
>       Also specify BADDISK as needed
>       Y2KSIZE='SMALL' or 'MEDIUM' or 'LARGE' or 'HUGE' (desired problem)
>       TCODE='READ'; TMASK=63
>       TPUT Y2K                        (TPUT saves adverb values)
>       MOUNT the tape unless you have the disk files
>       RUN Y2KEXEC
>       DISMOUNT the tape or remove/backup the disk files
>       PRTMSG                       (documents data read process)
>
> But these steps doesn't contain datain. So where should I specify datain?
>
> And is there any way to read several file at the same time?

> not there.  I really have no idea where you are in Y2K and so am only
> able to make guesses as to the problem.  One thing to debug this would
> be to try
> INPUTS IMHEADER; IMHEADER
> since "FILE MISSING" is a common error message from IMHEADER.  Perhaps
> you did not FTP all of the files for Y2K LARGE and have not read them
> all in.  The Y2K test requires that you download and read in all of the
> files, or at least all of the files used for those steps of Y2K that you
> invoke.

Y2K in the READ mode reads one file at a time in sequence and, on a
modern computer, will read all of the files in a matter of minutes.  Why
are you asking about the adverb DATAIN?  You set that by typing something
    datain = 'MYAREA:MyFile.fits
but the Y2K process uses this as an internal variable, not one you set.

You got an error and YOU need to debug it or at least tell me VERY MUCH
more about what you are trying to do and what has happened.  The
messages you showed me occur many places in the script and you are not
following any of the suggestions I have made - or at least do not show
me what the output of the commands I have suggested has been.  I
suggested the INPUTS IMHEAD; IMHEAD immediately after Y2K fails - note
Y2K leaves a relatively undisturbed state when it works, but quits
abruptly when it fails.  This lets one look around to see where in fact
it was.  Another command that would help me know where you are and what
you are up to is
   indisk 0; UCAT; MCAT
I would like to help but can only do so if you provide me information.

Have you read Chapters 2 and 3 of the AIPS CookBook?  They are available
on the web at www.aips.nrao.edu/cook.html but are also at your AIPS site
in the
$AIPS_ROOT/TEXT/PUBL folder with names COOK2.PS and COOK3.PS (or view
COOKBOOK.PDF with a true adobe reader program).