[daip] issues with task CONVL

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 3 17:33:48 EDT 2013

Sayali Avachat wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to convolve optical maps to the resolution of radio maps, using
> task CONVL.
> It looks like it is doing everything else fine, except that the flux
> minimum and maximum values in the header are changing by an order. (e.g
> previously maximum is 1.23e+2 and later it changes to 2.24e+3)
> I am not sure why CONVL would do that?
>
> Here are the inputs I used -
>
> INNAME - optical map
> IN2NAME - radio map
> OPCODE '  '  (was left blank as I am using IN2NAME)
> BMAJ, BMIN and BPA - taken from header of IN2NAME
> FACTOR - 0, but also tried with 1

First microJy is a flux density not a brightness and so cannot be the
units of your optical image.  microJy per pixel perhaps, but a
brightness is power/area.

CONVL should not increase the maximum unless you use it to hyper-resolve
and that is a questionable operation on radio images and beyond dubious
on optical.  You do NOT want to convolve the optical image with the
radio image - you want to convolve the optical image so that its
resolution becomes that of the radio image.  Note that OPCODE ' ' means
GAUS not some image convolution.  IN2NAME should be blank actually
although GAUS would ignore the adverbs I expect.  If the optical image
does not have BMAJ, BMIN, and BPA in its header, CONVL will not know
what exactly to do to make the output image be the desired resolution.
Use PUTHEAD to put correct values in the optical image header.