[daip] "Bring out the canons"

R. Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Thu May 9 23:54:44 EDT 2013

On my Mac laptop (Macbook Pro - Intel) with an AIPS that was updated
within the week, I tried to MOVE some files from one user to another
in preparation to move them back to a different (external) disk under the
original user (originally guessed to be an easier way to do bulk transfers
than sending to a new name, then naming back).  Most files went ok.  But
the IBM002, IBM003 etc files from the multi-resolution clean got copied
ok, but the original user catalog shows that they also still exist.
During the operation of MOVE, there were complaints about the HI table not
being found.  The files in the original user have a READ flag.  I tried a
RECAT to make it easier to do loop operations, but it claimed no files
needed to be renumbered, which doesn't seem right - there are big gaps in
the sequence.  When I try to look at those files (IMH), it doesn't work -
FILE MISSING.  When I try a ZAP, I get HEADER FILE MISSING OR EMPTY -
BRING OUT THE CANONS.  But the file does go away.  I'll speculate that the
missing HI table somehow caused MOVE to remove the files from the disk
(actually just change the names), but not remove them from the catalog.

Next I try to move them back, but this time a real copy and delete is
needed because the disk changes.

That seems to have worked, after some confusion with disk numbers.  But
the higher number beams (lower resolution) again have READ flags on the
source disk.  There were complaints again about the HI file not found.

Is there a better way to move files from one disk to another without
jumping through hoops like this?  When working with external drives, it is
an occasional need, especially when the sequence number really means
something (for me, the imaging loop iteration) and needs to be preserved.
I know a copy can't work because of AIP's reluctance to have two files of
the same name.  But a move should be possible with some renaming in the
middle without having to do it by hand.

Cheers,

Craig

    R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
    cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
    Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
    Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA