[daip] Format for PRTAB

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 11 10:28:36 EDT 2013

Andreas Brunthaler wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> I just noticed that the output format from PRTAB changed. The TIME
> column has changed and has now a different length than before (see
> attached files). This causes our pipeline to crash, because it assumes
> the old format. It's not really a big deal, because we can get the old
> format if we use ndig=2.  But is there a special reason for the change,
> or did this happen more by accident when changing something else?
>
> Andreas

I am confused - the two print outs you sent have identical formats.
All columns line up and the time is in floating days.  I did change the
task to do pure F formats where possible, doing a serious analysis of
what format would be required to represent the range of numbers.  NDIG
of 0 and negative selects this preferable format for human consumption -
it simply is easier to read quickly.  NDIG > 0 selects all exponential
format which is easier for software to read.

ERic Greisen