[daip] non-atomic file creation

Andrew Biggs abiggs at eso.org
Thu Mar 7 17:32:25 EST 2013

Hi. I'm encountering the following error message fairly frequently:

AIPS 2: ZCREA2: SPACE LOCK FILE = DA02:SPACE
AIPS 2: ZCREA2: STILL BUSY AFTER 30 TRIES IN 60 SECONDS
AIPS 2: ZCREA2: A STOPPED PROCESS MAY HAVE IT MONOPOLIZED
AIPS 2: ZCREA2: NOTIFY THE AIPS SYSTEM MANAGER
AIPS 2: ZCREA2: PERFORMING NON-ATOMIC FILE CREATION INSTEAD

This seems to happen because I have two AIPS running at the same time. I
encountered it earlier when I tried to run a second instance of DBCON and
I just got it when I typed 'RESTART' in order to change AIPS number. Is
there anything I can do to stop this?

I suspect that this has something to do with the fact that I'm running
AIPS on my laptop, with one data area on the laptop's internal hard disk
and another on an external hard drive that is plugged in via a USB cable -
I basically never do this. Could this be right?

Cheers,

Andy