[daip] New Staff Reply - [!IKB-944964]: AIPS - task STAR

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Sun Jun 2 14:16:08 EDT 2013

New Staff Reply: AIPS - task STAR

thanks for letting me know the cause of the issue.

Microsoft word (and other products) and some Mac and
Linux (ooffice) things will make binary files that look
like text files but are not - they contain much more than
simple ASCII bytes.  That is fine when you use the appropriate
tools with them, but not for software ignorant of the fancy
conventions.  We have a lot of problem just with TAB
characters - so imagine the issues with multiple fancy
formats which keep "advancing" so that Microsoft, Mac, et
al. can keep selling "new" products.

Thanks

Eric Greisen

Ticket Details