[daip] IRING q?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 30 12:05:17 EDT 2013

Lawrence Rudnick wrote:
> So it's a calculation of error in the mean? (assuming nnz(k) is the
> number of independent beams in ring k), as opposed to the rms scatter
> within the ring?

No - it is a simple count of all non-zero, non-blanked pixels.  There
has not been a correction for correlation between adjacent pixels.  That
correlation would be tricky to determine if the rings have substantial
width.  Therefore, these error bars are really too small by e.g a factor
of sqrt(3) or 2 or ??  Maybe I should change this computation except
that I think we do not do such corrections elsewhere either.

Eric