[daip] averaging time

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 29 10:44:02 EDT 2013

Katherine Blundell wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Sorry for my radio silence (I managed to contract whooping cough…  not recommended).   I do hope that this finds you well.
>
> I have a very basic AIPS question that I have managed to forget the answer to:  how do you find out what was the averaging time used when the data were correlated.    I vaguely thought that one could glean this from IMH, but seemingly not…   LISTR didn't seem to obviously give me this number.
>
> This question pertains to VLBA data, btw.
>
> Sorry if this is a really basic question…
>
> Cheers,
>
> Katherine

Actually, this is not such a simple question.  Some data sets have an
INT.TIME random parameter (like time, baseline, u, v, w) which can be
displayed by PRTUV with DPARM(6) = 1.  This is however not the
integration time at correlation but the current averaging time.

VLB data sets may have a CQ table.  If you have such a thing, PRTAB will
show a column which I suspect is the integration time at correlation.
I've been after the JVLA people to write a CQ table with no luck.  Its
main use is to show the channel width at correlation.  If there has been
frequency averaging after correlation, then amplitudes need correcting
for the delay error, but one has to know the correlation bandwidth since
that part of the bandwidth does not suffer a loss due to the delay.

Stay well

Eric