[daip] aips error?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 15 19:31:40 EST 2013

Jaehan Bae wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I am Jaehan working on the same project as Marina.
> I've been using aips remotely and it was okay so far but I got the
> following error today.
>
> AIPS 1: ZSSSL2 connect (UNIX): Permission denied
> AIPS 1: ZSSSLK: ERROR   1 ON LOCK
> AIPS 1: ON LOCK ERROR    6 FROM ZSSSLK
> AIPS 1: YTVOPN: TV LOCK OPEN ERROR      6
> AIPS 1: TV OPEN ERROR      6
>
> I googled it and found someone asked this issue in the past but didn't
> find answers.
> I started aips on the server by typing "aips tv=local" as usual and have
> no idea why I have the error.
> Can you take care of this?
> Thank you so much.

do a ctrl-Z to exit aips temporarily and cd /tmp

do an ls -laF

The tv=local TVs make files in /tmp for sockets

srwxrwxr-x 1 egreisen aipspgmr      0 Jan 15 17:26 LOK.1.primate=
srwxrwxr-x 1 egreisen aipspgmr      0 Jan 15 17:26 MSS.1.primate=
srwxrwxr-x 1 egreisen aipspgmr      0 Jan 15 17:26 TKS.1.primate=
srwxrwxr-x 1 egreisen aipspgmr      0 Jan 15 17:26 XAS.1.primate=

Note that these allow me and any member of the aipspgmr group to use the
socket but not people who belong to the usual user group here
(aipsuser).  If I somehow left these sockets behind when I quit aips
then the next user on primate might find that they lacked permission for
the sockets.  These sockets are for local TV number 1.  Try tv=local:4
for example to get sockets for number 4 (if that one is not in /tmp
already).

If the socket files are not in /tmp then the permission denied is caused
by their absence.  The start-up messages which you did not include
should contain some sort of error in that case.