[daip] Plotting in UVPLT in 31DEC12.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jan 11 12:45:08 EST 2013

Nissim Kanekar wrote:

> Dear Eric,
>
> I've been trying to plot amplitude versus UV distance in UVPLT over a
> specified UV range for some EVLA Q-band data (project 12B-408) using the
> 31DEC12 version of AIPS. I find that when I use UVRANGE 1000-1200 (in
> units of wavelength), the displayed plot covers the wavelength range
> 890-1050 lambda. Also, the data plotted in VPLOT and UVPLT for the same
> UVRANGE (and other) inputs are not the same. I didn't have this problem
> with the 31DEC11 version of AIPS, so was wondering if it might be a new
> bug.

UVRANGE is now a complicated subject.  The calibration application (data
reading) routines apply the UVRANGE test.  That is applied to the U and
V values at the reference channel in the reference (usually first) IF.
After that UVPLT computes the correct UV distance for each channel that
it plots.  When I worked with Crab Nebula data over 1 - 2 GHz I had to
separate each "IF" into separate files so that UVRANGE in RFLAG would be
something like meaningful.

Nothing has changed in this regard in a long time so I cannot understand
how you have different results in 31DEC11 and 31DEC12.  The same data
reading routines are used in VPLOT and UVPLT and the only test on
UVRANGE is done in exactly the same way.

I just ran a test with uvrange = 2,3 and got 3.7 to 5.6 in IF 14.  I ran
this in 31DEC13 and 31DEC11 and got the same UVPLT.

So I cannot find a problem other than a conceptual issue made worse by
the wide passbands we now have.  To restrict UVRANGE control the X axis
range and do not control UVRANGE in UVPLT.  I do not know what to do in
VPLOT...