[daip] Can a choice of robustness parameter effect the flux estimates for point sources?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Feb 27 15:25:59 EST 2013

Naveen Yadav wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>

> I am trying to image a JVLA dataset (July 2012 observation) using two
> different values of robustness parameter (robust =1 & 0) in the imaging
> part using the task IMAGR which gives a substantial  (10-30 %)
> difference in the flux values of a point source. Which value of the flux
> at any given frequency (robust=1 or robust=0) is more trust worthy? I
> mean is there a reason to trust one value over another.

I am surprised by this large difference for a modest difference in
ROBUST.  You should examine the images closely to see if the shape is in
fact a Gaussian and whether it matches the Clean beam - and whether the
Clean Beams that you used are similar or differ by more than one might
expect.  Are these peak brightnesses or fluxes fit by JMFIT or IMFIT?
In the latter, the total flux can be influenced by the size of the box
used in the fitting... does it include noise bumps/holes or no?