[daip] aips calib

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 26 10:03:34 EST 2013

Cao Hongmin wrote:
> Hi Eric
>
> So, if the source is very strong, and there are enough antennas for
> amplitude self-calibration, it will not make much difference (to set
> aparm (1) =3 or 4), is it?
>
> if the input model/image of the calibrator has (big) amplitude
> calibration errors, whether it will have big influences on the total
> flux density detection of the weak (~1 mJy) target sources, after
> applying the solution got from "calib" to the target sources ? and how
> about the strong source (eg. also apply the same solution to the
> calibrator)?

This is not quite what I said.  If you have a bad model for the
calibration source and set APARM(1)=3 you run the risk of freezing in
that bad model in your self-cal solutions.  You would be better off with
APARM(1)=30 if that could work (it won't because you probably do not
have that many antennas)
because that would mean that the antenna-based calibration dominates the
solution rather than the (not good) model.

The amplitude errors are less important than the phase errors in finding
weak sources.  If the phases are poor, then the visibilities will cancel
each other.  If they are good the visibilities will add up well and the
amplitude errors will to some extent offset each other.

Eric Greisen