[daip] Slow starting AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 14 12:10:42 EST 2013

Volker Heesen wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I get an error message now and then "TASK HAS NOT BEGUN IN 15.1 SECONDS". Then AIPS has a pause and comes back later. Any idea what may be causing this? It is a Linux 64-bit binary installation on a RedHat Enterprise Linux 5. Many thanks!
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Volker Heesen

This is a message that has puzzled us over the years.  The best guess I
made in 2008 was an issue of memory allocation.  If the task requires a
fair amount of memory, you may be able to spawn it, but then it waits
until there is enough memory to begin execution.  AIPS waits "only" 15
seconds or so and then gives up and resumes normal execution.  (AIPS
orders a task to start and then pauses for a period of time, then checks
if the task has started, and loops until either it gets the signal that
the task has found and taken its adverbs or the loop count limit has
been exceeded.  Run top or other machine usage programs in another xterm
to see how crowded your machine seems to be.

We have not seen that message in quite a while - but then my machine now
has 24 giga bytes of RAM.

If the task that does not start is some private version of a task, it is
always possible that it dies before it gets into sufficient action that
it can fetch the adverbs.