[daip] AIPS task FLATN

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 25 17:36:12 EST 2013

Kunal wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Eric.
> I have made and viewed 12deg x 2deg mosaics in CASA in the past.
> Might be useful to do it in AIPS...
>
> - Kunal.
>

> On 12/23/2013 10:29 AM, Eric Greisen wrote:
>> Kunal wrote:
>>> Hi Eric,
>>> We are doing a wide survey with the VLA (300 sq. deg), and I need to
>>> image a 9deg x 2deg region through FLATN. Pixel size of 0.5arcsec
>>> demands an image size of 65000x18000. Is it possible to somehow
>>> override the maximum imsize in FLATN and make a mosaic this big?
>>>
>>> Thanks & Regards,
>>> Kunal Mooley.
>>
>> Short answer - no.  You cannot display it so why make it.
>>
>> Eric Greisen

Having thought about it I found that we allow more than 131072 spectral
channels so I guess we must allow image rows to be that large also.  I
have altered 31DEC14 to allow this.  CASA is fundamentally based in
dynamic memory and so is flexible so long as your computer can hold up
its enormous memory requirements.  AIPS uses dynamic memory some places,
but is stuck with older technology many places.  This will make many
places larger for folks that do not really need such big buffers, but
some disk I/O should go faster for them with the larger buffers, so it
is not a total loss.