[daip] aips problems

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 4 10:31:08 EST 2013

Stavros Nonis wrote:
> Dear Dr. Eric Greisen,
> I am Stavros Nonis the phd student from Hellenic Open University. I
> really apologize
> bothering you again but and i would like your help in two items
> considering AIPS.
>
>     * First I can't get uv plots. The error message is the following
>
> /*>go uvplt */
>
> /*ERROR 3 ON UNIT TTDEV01 , GETTING HOST/SERVICE BY NAME */
>
> /* ZMSGOP: ZTTOPN RETURNS ERROR = 1 FOR LUN = 6 */
>
> /*UVPLT1: UVGET: doing no flagging this time */
>
> /*AIPS 1: Resumes */
>
> /*>UVPLT1: ZSSSL2: tcp/ssslock NOT A SERVICE */
>
> /*UVPLT1: ZSSSLK: ERROR 2 ON LOCK */
>
> /*UVPLT1: ON LOCK ERROR 6 FROM ZSSSLK */
>
> /*UVPLT1: YTVOPN: TV LOCK OPEN ERROR 6 */
>
> /*UVPLT1: TV OPEN ERROR 6 */
>
> /*UVPLT1: GINIT: ERROR 6 OPENING THE TV */
>
> /*UVPLT1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes */
>
> /*UVPLT1: stavros- 31DEC13 TST: Cpu= 0.1 Real= 0 IO= 8 \*/
>
> /*>*/
>
> It seems a problem with the TV screen. When I start AIPS and run
> AIPS_MSGSRV and AIPS_TEKSRV the following messages appears
>
> /*MSGserver: Could not get msgserv service by name: Success*/
>
> /*MSGserver: Check your /etc/services or NIS/YP map*/
>
> /*tekserver: could not get service: Success*/
>
>     * The second question is about VLA data archive. I download 3 files
>       from the project AO84 but it seems to be a problem with the task
>       FILLM. The error message is
>
> *>GO FILLM
> ERROR  3 ON UNIT TTDEV01         , GETTING HOST/SERVICE BY NAME
>  ZMSGOP: ZTTOPN RETURNS ERROR =   1 FOR LUN =   6
> FILLM1: ******************************************************
> FILLM1: **   Times written by FILLM are now centered in     **
> FILLM1: **   the integration, before they were at the end   **
> FILLM1: ******************************************************
> FILLM1: Shadow flag limit =  2.500E+01 meters.
> FILLM1: Opacity correction in CL table weighted average of weather and
> FILLM1:    season.  Weight for weather = 0.50
> FILLM1: **** New opacity model is being used ***
> FILLM1: Gain curve correction in CL table read from file,
> FILLM1:    with variation as function of antenna and band.
> FILLM1: Opening /home/stavros/DATA/STAVROS-LAPTOP_1/AO84_21
> FILLM1: ZTPOPN: DISK DEVICE = /home/stavros/DATA/STAVR NOT FOUND
> FILLM1: FLDKIO: ERROR   2 OPENING FILE
> FILLM1: Error      8 opening VLA archive data disk file.
> FILLM1: FLMUV: FLMDAT error  8
> FILLM1: Read         0 visibilities from  0 files
> FILLM1: Appears to have ended successfully
> FILLM1: stavros-lapt 31DEC13 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       1
> AIPS 1: Resumes
> *
> *
> *
> It seems that the data is not loaded. I run
>  >inp FILLM
>  >datain '/home/stavros/DATA/STAVROS-LAPTOP_1/AO84_2
> but in pcat it doesn't load the file AO84_2
> Please if you have any idea what is wrong please help me.

We are here to help users get what they need and are happy to help.

The first issue has to do with your not having set up internet socket
IDs so that Inet servers (TV, TEK, message) will not work.  The file
/etc/services defines these but you need root privilege to change it.
You can start AIPS with
        aips tv=local
which will make Unix sockets (in /tmp) instead.  This should work - but
let me know...

There is an issue with FILLM in the file naming.  It appends the file
number after the character string - note that it said _21 when it ran.
The help file goes into detail about this.  Set

datain = '/home/stavros/DATA/STAVROS-LAPTOP_1/AO84_

and then set NFILES properly ( = 1 for file _2).

FILLM said 0 vis from 0 files so PCAT should not find anything.  FILLM
will say the output file name and other details when it works.