[daip] [Fwd: Cross-hand amplitude problems for BR and FD at 15 GHz]

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 2 16:04:27 EST 2013

Matt,

I see my email did not include the forwarded message - not sure why.
But this is about the high Tsys and high cross polarized amplitude that
you see in bl178bi at BR and FD.  We see the issue, at least for Tsys,
in a variety of other projects now that you have called attention to it.
  But at BR, it seems to have resolved itself for recent projects
without known intervention on our part.  We don't know about FD because
it has been down with a broken axel for quite a while (We unexpectedly
had no usable spare and had to make a new one).

Talking to Jim Ogle, Vivek Dhawan, and Mark Claussen, we are suspicious
that something, probably water, contaminated the feed but has since
dried or been removed.  It's hard to be sure.  We will get the integrity
of the feed windows checked and otherwise look for signs of contamination.

Meanwhile, your high cross hand amplitudes are likely real, not just a
calibration problem.  I presume that they show up in the uncalibrated
data too since the calibration process, as you note, has no independent
scaling for the cross hands.  If you were to try to scale them
independently from the parallel hand amplitudes, you would likely end up
very confused.  If the problem is water in the feed, the effect could
depend on pointing elevation as the water moves around.  Also, the
amount of water may be variable.  This might make calibration somewhere
between difficult and impossible.

Please let us know if this continues to be a problem.

Cheers,

Craig