[daip] UVLSF in wide-field imaging

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 22 18:39:47 EDT 2013

Andy Biggs wrote:
> Hi Eric. I have a question about subtracting a continuum from a
> wide-field dataset. I have cleaned my GMRT data and subtracted the clean
> components - this gets rid of all the obvious continuum. If I then stack
> the data I get a weak continuum source (good!) but ideally I want to
> remove this from the spectral data.
>
> The way I've been doing the stacking of late is to shift each source to
> the phase centre and then make a map. This seems to offer an advantage
> over using a FLATN'd image as the sources are all perfectly centred in
> their own image and I can also run UVLSF on each shifted data set. As I
> understand it, UVLSF only works correctly for sources at the phase
> centre, but can you see anything wrong with this approach?
>
> I ask because the noise from a stacked continuum image of the UVLSF data
> has extremely low noise, about 10 times less than I would expect. I've
> only been using a zeroth or first order fit to be on the safe side.
>
> And what about running UVLSF on a non uv-shifted dataset? i.e. just
> running it once in the hope of removing all the remaining continuum in
> from all the sources in the field in one fell swoop. Will this do
> anything sensible? This has been done by some other researchers who are
> working on a similar project. Given that UVLSF only works on a source at
> the phase centre, this just seems plain wrong.
>
> Thanks as always for your help.
>
> Andy

The issue is whether the continuum vis is sensibly a straight line in
sin and cos vs frequency at each visibility.  A strong source well away
from the center will make a sine wave which is not always a straight
line.  Move that source to the center and it becomes perfectly straight
- move close and it is probably good enough.  the best continuum
subtraction is done with UVSUB for wide field images.  UVLSF is really
for modestly simple cases.

Eric