[daip] questions about instructions in AIPS Guide to the Install Wizard

michele rallis kaufmanrallis at icloud.com
Wed Apr 24 13:51:20 EDT 2013

Reading the On-Line Wizard Guide for installing 31DEC12, I have the following
stupid questions. I am no longer part of any institution, and this is the first time I shall be
installing AIPS without help from a systems manager.

1. Screen 5: Site Name
My AIPS site will consist of a single laptop computer to which no name is
 assigned, and it is not accessed over a network from other machines.

For the Site Name on Screen 5, should I enter:  LOCALHOST

or should I enter some random name and then on Screen 5a (Site type)
enter: Y.

2.  Screen 9: Tape Drives

Currently I do not have a tape drive, only a USB Super Drive for DVDs.
Does install.pl then create an empty TPDEVS.LIST, which I could edit
later if I want to add a tape drive to read some old tapes?

Michele Kaufman