[daip] SDGRD questions

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 5 15:17:43 EDT 2013

Bob Garwood wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Can sdgrd make images in galactic coordinates?  If the pseudo-UV input
> file used to get the data into AIPS could indicate coordinate values in
> galactic coordinates (or other systems, but galactic is the most common
> after J2000) would that be imported OK and would sdgrd then make an
> image in galactic coordinates?  I know specifying the center of the map
> in the sdgrd inputs seems to require a coordinate of RA/Dec and I've
> always just assumed that that meant it could only make images in RA/Dec,
> but I'm not sure.
>
> IF it can only image in RA/Dec would this workaround work:
>
> lie in the input UV-FITS files. This is what Glen's conversion routine
> does now.  The coordinates are read from the
> SDFITS file as is, so if they're galactic they stay galactic, and the
> output UV-FITS file always labels them as RA/Dec.
>
> make the image in AIPS, write it out to a FITS cube.
>
> Change the appropriate CTYPEn values in the resulting image from
> 'RA---GLS','DEC--GLS' to 'GLON-GLS','GLAT-GLS'.
>
> i.e. I don't think there's anything about the labels RA/DEC that the
> gridder uses, just the projection type.  So it's fine to not worry about
> that label until after the image has been made.
>
> And if there's some better way to do this I'd greatly appreciate hearing
> about it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob

I see no obvious reason why it could not take a data set in galactic
coordinates, correcly labeled,  and image in GLON and GLAT directly
without all the fooling around.  I would be interested to see you try it
and if it fails to send me the info so that I can fix it.  I can't find
any reference to GLON or RA-- et al in the code at all.  It is inthe OOP
package part of AIPS and so there may be hidden mysteries but I suspect not.

I vae been on vacation, so pardon the delay in answering.