[daip] AIPS Update

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 24 11:03:18 EDT 2012

Aaron Chevalier wrote:
> Hello Eric Greisen,
>
> I am a student at Brandeis University, working under Professor Roberts
> and Professor Wardle.
> Currently, I am using AIPS version 31DEC09, but I want to update to the
> latest version.
> My concern is that I want to make sure that the file system of user ids
> will be preserved
> in the new version. Apparently simply copying the folder with all the
> saved aips files will
> not do it. Is there a file that saves the list of used ids, or something
> else that must be
> done to continue work on the same files with a new version of AIPS?
>
> Much Thanks,
>
> Aaron Chevalier

You can install 31DEC12 using the same $AIPS_ROOT area.  It makes a new
tree of directories beginning with 31DEC12 (your current tree begins
with 31DEC09).  The data areas and control areas are mostly left
untouched so there is no need to be concerned with preserving your data.
After the installation finishes, edit $AIPS_ROOT/AIPSPATH.SH and .CSH to
make 31dEC09 be OLD.  Then, if some task in TST doesn't seem to be
working, you can try the 31DEC09 version with version='OLD'.  This is
sometimes problematical since the lists of adverbs for some tasks have
changed and because the antenna files for VLBI have had a substantive
change.  Note that 31DEC12 code will update any files that are in the
old format but that 31DEC09 will then not understand them as well as it did.