[daip] aips fringe fitting

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 12 10:47:57 EDT 2012

Cao Hongmin wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> when doing fringe fitting, we can choose to solve "phase","delay",and
> "rate",
>
> but i am confused about the "phase" noted above.
>
> The error of the interferometer phase can be expressed as:
>

> so the "phase" solved by aips task "fring" means the in the above
> fomula, or something else?
>
> thanks for the helps,
>
> hongmin

As you can probably see - all math symbols are missing from your e-mail
so I cannot examine your question.  The interferometer phase is all that
we measure.  If there is a delay error, the phase will be A + f * d
where A is a frequency independent value, f is the frequency and d the
delay error.  FRING puts a phase correction into the SN table to attempt
to bring all IFs to the same phase after application of the delay
correction it determines.  The rate part is used when it is found that d
varies with time and corrects for changes between the times at which d
is measured.