[daip] New Client Reply - [!HQU-511535]: AIPS INSTALL on MAC OS X 10.6.8

Christopher J Stockdale do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 4 17:49:03 EDT 2012

New Client Reply: AIPS INSTALL on MAC OS X 10.6.8

Thanks Eric,

I'll check the /etc/sysctl.conf file again and try another restart of the computer.  This is the first AIPS install on this computer.

>From the install info you reposted, the part that I see as being pertinent is below.  I'll give it another go when I get back to the office and let you know if it worked this time.

Thanks,

Chris

On the latest "leopard", "snow leopard", "lion", and
         "mountain lion" (X 10.5-10.8) systems,  /etc/rc is gone and
         creating it will have no effect.  You need to create an
         /etc/sysctl.conf file and put the values in it,
            kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
            kern.sysv.shmmin=1
            kern.sysv.shmmni=32
            kern.sysv.shmseg=8
            kern.sysv.shmall=4096

         You should use the values you had when you were running
         tiger.  Those could be in /Previous\ System/etc/rc, assuming
         you have "Previous System". So three different OS upgrades
         and three different ways to adjust the default shared
         memory.  Note: You will need to reboot the system for the
         change in shared memory to take place. You can check if the
         shared memory changes happened by typing "sysctl kern.sysv"
         in a terminal or xterm window. Look for the kern.sysv.shm*
         values. If the values have not changed, make sure you haven't
         inadvertently left in "sysctl -w" in the /etc/sysctl.conf
         file or mis-typed one of the values.  If the /etc/sysctl.conf
         file is not properly formatted, or shmmax is not an integer
         multiple of shmall, the shared memory will not be adjusted
         after the reboot.

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: HQU-511535
Department: AIPS Data Processing