[daip] AIPS - Shared memory ID failure: Lion equivalent of sysctl.conf

Brendan Reardon breardon at brandeis.edu
Wed May 23 14:16:57 EDT 2012

Wes -

Ooh interesting. As before, after we manually edit and run sysctl
kern.sysv, the values are changed. They only reset upon rebooting.
Interestingly enough though, if we do not reboot the tv does work (because
the values are our desired values).

So clearly, the issue is that sysctl kern.sysv has a default setting that
it keeps resetting to upon reboot.
This source [
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v117/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.relnotes.doc%2Fnotes%2Fifx_1170xc4%2Fmach%2Fids_machine_notes_11.70.macosx64.html
] writes,

> The kernel parameters also can be set by running the "sysctl" command.
> Any user can check the value of a parameter, but you must be user root
> (or sudo) to set parameter values. The "sysctl" command takes effect
> immediately, but parameters are reset to their original values during
> a system reboot.

So the question is how to change those original values.

As for someone managing the system for us, we do not.