[daip] 31DEC12 Installation on Linux

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 28 10:38:14 EDT 2012

Brendan Reardon wrote:
> Oh my goodness, I began from scratch and used chmod 7 with amazing
> results. It is all installed.
>
> My only issue now is, when I attempt to preform your test. I added the
> necessary entries to run in my bashrc file and I enter,
> "aips notv tpok"
> When I enter this, I am prompted for a user ID number and password. What
> is the username and password that I use? You make no mention of it.
> "1" does not work as I do not know the corresponding password.
>
> I tried aips tv=local and am able to open the windows, but "print 2 + 2"
> yields no results.

Ignore my advice in the last e-mail - the chmod was probably enough.

I suspect that the install.pl still did not finish entirely normally in
that it runs 2 programs at the end.  You can run them by hand:

RUN FILAIP
8 2

RUN POPSGN
0 POPSDAT TST

and one more carriage return after the > prompt.

Note that case matters in the above.

AIPS allows user numbers from 1 through 36**3-1.  User 1 has special
privilege and a build in password AMANAGER which you may need on
occasion.  Use any other number and no password is required unless you
choose to add one.   People tend to use multiple numbers to separate
their various projects.

The FILAIP makes sure all needed control files exist with initial values
and POPSGN generate the POPS language structure that does the 2+2 for you.

Congratulations

ERic Greisen