[daip] strange messages

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 20 13:31:47 EDT 2012

I installed the latest Aips a few days ago.  I don't think the midnight
job is running because I have not got any messages.  I think you have a
way to tell.  If so please let me know.

I left aips running since Friday, I think.  When I looked at the screen
today, I found this strange message in my message server:

MSGserver: cannot determine originating host: Success
??????> GET http://www.hep.phys.soton.ac.uk/hepwww/staff/K.Barnes/ HTTP/1.1
Accept: text/*
Host: www.hep.phys.soton.ac.uk
Pragma: no-cache

In the aips running I found:
 >ZVTPO3 cannot get remote host info: Success
ZVTPO3 cannot get remote host info: Success
ZVTPO3 cannot get remote host info: Success
ZVTPO3 cannot get remote host info: Success
XAS: ReadLink read data error - shutdown?

What is this?

Pat

It looks like there was some sort of event in your local internet
leading to all the servers losing the ability to gethostbyaddr.

The message server messages are more curious and suggest an unauthorized
attempt to get into your machine presumably (but not likely actually)
from the phys.soton.ac.uk address.  I wonder if someone is trying to use
the aips standard sockets for break ins.!!  I guess it is not a good
idea to leave it running with inet sockets - say aips tv=local to avoid
inet sockets.

ERic Greisen