[daip] AIPS compilation problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 24 16:08:06 EDT 2012

abhik ghosh wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>               I was trying to install AIPS 31DEC11 version it in my
> laptop. Currently, I am using Ubuntu 12.04 OS in my laptop. But, it is
> not compiling in my laptop, giving me the following error just at the
> beginning:

> AipsWiz: Compiling NEWEST...
> NEWEST.c: In function ‘main’:
> NEWEST.c:66:13: warning: format ‘%s’ expects argument of type ‘char *’,
> but argument 3 has type ‘int’ [-Wformat]
> NEWEST.c:90:19: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
> function ‘exit’ [enabled by default]

Odd - line 66 does not have 3 arguments and the 1 argument is correctly
%s.  exit has not had to be declared every before.

> AipsWiz: Compiling REVENV...
> REVENV.c: In function ‘main’:
> REVENV.c:87:29: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
> REVENV.c:87:9: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
> [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]
> AipsWiz:         - Compiling ZTRLOP.c...
> AipsWiz:         - done.  Now try building the PP preprocessor...
> AipsWiz: /usr/bin/g77 -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o
> */usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This is strange - there is no call to a crt1 or a crti routine and
nothing in the text of install.pl to invoke -lgcc_s.  All of these
things are being supplied by the ld invoked by the g77 command.  Are
your g77, gcc, and ld routines compatible?  Do /usr/bin/g77 --version
and the same for the other two.  Let me know what the answers are.

Try a cd to the $SYSLOCAL area /home/aips/AIPS11/31DEC11/LNX64/SYSTEM/CTSG
and then do the command by hand.
/usr/bin/g77 -O PP.f
followed by an ls PP*.  If there is a PP.o and no complaint
then do
usr/bin/g77 -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o
again.

I am grasping at straws here - but there seems to be issues with your
g77 that is supposed to order up a working link edit with this command.