[daip] questions about rflag and flag tables

Susan Neff Susan.G.Neff at nasa.gov
Thu Jul 19 16:34:58 EDT 2012

Hi Eric,

I have a question about RFLAG and flag tables.

What I am doing is as follows:
The first time I run RFLAG, I give it
flagver = xx, outfgver = 0,
so it will create a new flag table by
copying flagver xx and then adding to it.
I run rflag on a subset of sources,
creating new flag table yy.
Then I try running rflag again on
different sources, using flagver = xx
and outfgver = yy.

What happens to the flags created in the
run on the second source??

I'm asking because it seems that the flags
produced for the second source are not making
it into the flag table.  The output plots
I get by running with doplot = -12 look
like it got the flags, and the noise
and scut returned adverbs look like
they got the flags.  However, if I try to
run another round of rflag, on the second
source, using flagtable yy,  I get
the same starting noise and scut values
as I had in the first run on the second
source... not lower values as I would expect.
(A second run on the first source behaves
as I expect - i.e. the second run returns
much lower values for noise(i) and scut(i).

I'm wondering if the flags for the
second sources are not
actually making it into the output
flag table ( if it is specified, as opposed
to being set to zero and therefore
creating a new table).  I had
thought they would be added into
the flag table created with the first source, but
now I'm wondering if I have misinterpreted
what is happening.

Do I always need to create a new flag
table to capture the the newly created
flags?  And if I create a new flag table,
using only some of the sources, does
it carry along the flags for all sources?

Thanks for any insight you can provide,
-s-