[daip] AIPS error messeges

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 16 10:47:23 EDT 2012

Sayali Avachat wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I have attached the ls -lt file here with the email (its a long list!).
> But it looks like we have kind of pin pointed where the problem lies.
> I am working on 5 different disk areas in AIPS and it looks like this
> problem is with only one of the disks.
> This disk has reached its capacity of 1000 files in AIPS, I guess that's
> why it is not able to create any more temporary output files on it. For
> now I  have removed that disk from my AIPS area since I am not really
> working on it right now. Also I am going to try and delete some of the
> files that I don't need from there so that there will be some space
> available. We had the problem with same disk a couple of years back and
> I had created a new disk area to work on. I guess it just need some
> clean up.
> I will do that and I will get back to you if at all I face any more
> problems.

>             2. This one is likely to be a bigger nuisance.  The error
>         means that
>             file already exists of the name that TVFLG tried to assign
>         to the
>             grid file.  This means that in some way your CA (catalog)
>         file is
>             missing an entry it should have - presumably because of some
>         process
>             dying badly or some such.  The above messages do not
>         identify the
>             disk and catalog number where the failure occurred so you
>         will need
>             to do detective work.   If there is only 1 aips disk it gets
>         easier
>             or if IN2DISK was specified, then you know which disk.  do a
>         CLRNAM;
>             INDI=n; CATA where n = the disk number.  Look for the first
>         catalog
>             number not having an entry.
>
>             Outside AIPS, cd to the relevant data area.
>
>             ls -lt ??Dnnn*.uuu\;
>
>             where nnn is the catalog number in 3-digit extended HEX
>         (base 36)
>             and uuu is your user number in the same form.  There is a
>         proc in
>             the AIPS path called EHEX which converts decimal into
>         extended hex.
>
>             These files are not known in the catalog - if you do not
>         know what
>             they are, deleting them is an easy response.  There is also a
>             stand-alone program (outside aips) which you can run if
>         there is a
>             CBDnnn*.uuu\; file.
>                 cd $AIPS_ROOT
>                 source LOGIN.CSH     (or . LOGIN.SH for bash)
>                 $CDTST
>                 RUN RECAT
>             and answer the questions.

Boy have you not understood what I tried to write!

There is no limit on the number of entries in catalog files.  The 1000
"limit" is just the initial size and the file can grow.

What has happened is an issue for 1 user on 1 disk.  On that disk there
exists an image file MADccc001.uuu\; where ccc is the extended hex
version of the catalog number and uuu is the extended hex (base 36)
version of the user number.  The problem is that this file is not known
to AIPS because the catalog file location for ccc indicates an open
slot.  Then when TVFLG comes along it looks in the catalog for the disk
and sees the FIRST empty slot and says "let's use this one".  But when
it tries to make its file, also named MADccc001.uuu\; the system says
that the file already exists.  This is an error and the task dies.

The detective work was to identify ccc.  The ls -l was the to look for
all files for the slot ccc.  Thus - cd to the disk area and do
    ls -l ??Dccc*.uuu\;
The ls you sent me was for all ccc and all uuu (ls -l ??D* I assume)
This will remain a problem until you fix it.  Deleting old files - while
a good thing - will not help.  A temporary work around would be to run
UVCOP and copy a small UV file to the disk.  It should go into the empty
slot nicely - but the MA file will still be lurking to bite you later.