[daip] Limit error when using FIT2A

Eskil Varenius varenius at chalmers.se
Thu Jul 5 08:35:15 EDT 2012

Dear AIPS support,

First - Thanks again for a great summer school at the VLA.

Now, today I ran into an error message I don't quite understand. My
colleague want's me to export several clean maps of a field from AIPS
images to ASCII files. I do this using first FITTP to file, and then FIT2A
to ASCII. For one image (with cell size 0.25e-3, imsize 2048,1024) this
works fine. But, for another image (with cell size 0.1e-3, imsize 4096,
2048) the second task FIT2A complains. I get:
EBUR  > FIT2A2: Task FIT2A  (release of 31DEC12) begins
EBUR  > FIT2A2: Reading from disk file: PWD:297A_X_EAST.IM
EBUR  > FIT2A2: Reading from disk file: PWD:297A_X_EAST.IM
EBUR  > FIT2A2: ZTXOP2: using translated file name =
EBUR  > FIT2A2: ZTXOP2:
/home/eskil/BB297_code_workdir/BB297A_X_code/297A_X_EAST
EBUR  > FIT2A2: ZTXOP2: .ASCII
EBUR  > FIT2A2: !Number of restricted pixels at the mask exceeds limit
4000000
EBUR  > FIT2A2: ZCLOSE: DOES NOT PERFORM TEXT FILE CLOSES AS OF 15OCT87
EBUR  > FIT2A2: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes

I guess this is related to the larger number of pixels in this image. But,
I cannot find any information in the FIT2A documentation about any limit.
Could you perhaps explain this error? In the long run I will try to rewrite
my colleagues code to read FITS images directly, but for now I'm stuck with
ASCII, so a workaround or fix to this would be great.

Best regards,
Eskil Varenius
PhD student, Onsala Space Observatory, Sweden