[daip] AIPS binary installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 23 13:21:43 EST 2012

serjimon at alumni.uv.es wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm having some troubles trying to install AIPS 31DEC12. After executing the perl script, installation fails, with this
> error:
>
> rsync: failed to connect to ftp.aoc.nrao.edu (*inet_ntop failed*): Connection timed out (110)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [Receiver=3.0.8]
>

> I think the problem is related to my Internet connection, because I'm trying the installation through my company proxy
> server (authenticated and quite restrictive). I can access the server with a regular ftp, but rsync doesn't seem to
> perform properly.
>
> I'd rather avoid text installation if possible, so I found quite interesting the CD option (even though it comes with the
> frozen version, 31DEC11). Do you know when is this 2011 version CD going to be available at NRAO's web page? Or any other
> way to perform the installation?

We have not written a CD in years so I would really like to explore
other options.  The CD is only appropriate for a frozen version and even
31DEC11 is still getting fixes occasionally for bad errors and I am not
sure that install.pl still works on CDs (although it should).

Try talking to your system managers to see if they will allow you to use
rsync to our specific IP address from your specific IP address (it is
possible to open firewalls in this fashion).

Eric Greisen

(BTW aipsmail is now simply connected to daip).