[daip] New Staff Reply - [!BVR-360142]: Compiling AIPS from source on a Mac

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 19 13:29:06 EST 2012

New Staff Reply: Compiling AIPS from source on a Mac

two comments:

1. Why are you compiling locally?  Are you planning to write
   your own AIPS tasks?  If not, you should do the binary
   installation (perl install.pl -n).  The tasks will execute
   faster than those produced by gfortran.

2. The FORTOPT option must be set.  Without them, the gfortran
   is trying to compile and link every subroutine as a program.
   I use a gnu version on my machine for debugging and its options
   are
   -c -fno-automatic -fno-globals -Wno-globals -Wimplicit -Wall -O2
   I forget what all of them mean but I think the -c is essential
   to do a subroutine compile without link.

Eric Greisen

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: BVR-360142
Department: AIPS Data Processing