[daip] setting up an external hard drive as a disk in aips

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 4 12:45:30 EST 2012

Kelley M. Hess wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I'm trying to set up an external hard drive as a disk in AIPS to which I read/write files.  The path name looks like this:
> /Volumes/KMHessTimeCapsule/VLA/deepfield/DATA/LOCALHOST_3
>
> I set up an symbolic link in my aips data directory:
> cd /usr/local/aips/DATA/
> ln -si /Volumes/KMHessTimeCapsule/VLA/deepfield/DATA/LOCALHOST_3
>
> I edited the DADEVS.LIST and NETSP files:
>
> # DADEVS.LIST
> #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> # This is a DADEVS list file containing a list of AIPS data directories.
> # Refer to $AIPS_ROOT/DADEVS.SH for more information.
> #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> +  /usr/local/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
> +  /usr/local/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_2
> +  /usr/local/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_3
>
> To be honest, I'm not sure whether to use - or + for each disk.  Nonetheless, it seems regardless of the +/- status, I still get the following error when I try to access LOCALHOST_3:
>
>> indi 0;pcat
> AIPS 1: Catalog on disk  1
> AIPS 1:  Cat Usid Mapname      Class   Seq  Pt     Last access      Stat
> AIPS 1: Catalog on disk  2
> AIPS 1:  Cat Usid Mapname      Class   Seq  Pt     Last access      Stat
> ZLOCK: Operation not supported
> AIPS 1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA03:CAD000000.017;
> AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 45 (Operation not supported)
>
> The CAD000000.017; file didn't exist before, but appears it's created when I ran aips for the first time.
>
> Any idea how to get this to work, so I can use the external disk?
>
> Many many thanks in advance.  (I apologize if I'm a little forward in emailing you directly),

I assume you also made a world readable file call SPACE of 0 bytes in
the new data area - otherwise you would not have gotten this far.

Sadly I cannot tell you what top do next - apparently file locking does
not work on your external disk.  You will need to ask some system expert
how to change that.  AIPS does not understand not locking...

It is probably better to use daip at nrao.edu in case I am on vacation and
management would like you to use the mynrao helpdesk but this is fine
too.  Note that I am CC'ing daip in my reply.