[daip] Opening AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 3 16:47:36 EST 2012

Charity Southworth wrote:
> Hello! I was a summer student this year and I need to open aips on my
> Macbook but forgot how to do it. I know there was a weird way to do it
> that involved typing something with $'s and such, but I cannot figure
> out how. Here are some things that Mark Claussen and I tried:
>
> I typed  ./START_AIPS in the directory, and it
> said charitysouthworthmacbookpro is not defined in hosts.lists; cannot
> start aips
> I also could not figure out how to open the HOSTS.LIST
> Aips is located at /users/Charity/AIPS
>
> I have no idea what to do!
>
> -Charity Southworth

Too bad you are not here and I could help

The ./START_AIPS in the aips area should work (that is all the symbol
aips points at).

That same folder /users/Charity/AIPS contains the file HOSTS.LIST.  What
does it say (cat HOSTS.LIST will show you)?

It does help to do one of the login files - it you are using tcsh shell say

source LOGIN.CSH

or with bash say (note the dot or period)

. LOGIN.SH

This is how things are set up properly.  (I put this command in my
.tcshrc or .basrc file so it is done when I log in and I do not have to
remember.)

Eric