[daip] more on multiple TV's

Susan Neff Susan.G.Neff at nasa.gov
Thu Feb 16 08:49:20 EST 2012

I have a new wrinkle.

I can now run more than one TV, and so far I haven't
had the system freeze up again.

I start the first aips session using the command
"aips" - all is well - tv, msg window, tek window, all ok.

So I start a second aips session, using the same tv,
using the command "aips"  All goes as desired - this
session shares the tv, messages, tek.

I go to a second desktop, and start another (third)
aips session.

I use the command  "aips tv=local:2"  and everything
seems to work fine - I get a second tv (AIPSTV  -
UNIX-2) , a second message window, a second tek
window.   All what I want it to do.

It says:
START_AIPS: Will use Unix Socket based TV number 2
and later
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost
asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Unix Sockets as requested
and
AIPS 3: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 3: You are assigned TV device/server  3
and
UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV2 on localhost
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Starting XAS2 on localhost, DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-uzr7AR/org.x:0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: *** Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1910 height 1078,
          max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories

However,

when I start another (fourth) aips session in the
second window, I want it to share the (second) TV, so
I say  "aips tv=local:2"

Instead, it starts a third TV (AIPSTV - UNIX-1) ,
third TEK window, third MSGSRV

It says:
START_AIPS: Will use Unix Socket based TV number 2
and later
TVDEVS.SH: Sorry, UNIX TV2 in use on display x
TVDEVS.SH: Will assume you want first available slot
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost
asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
and then
AIPS 3: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 3: You are assigned TV device/server  2
and
UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on localhost
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Starting XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-uzr7AR/org.x:0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: *** Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1910 height 1078,
          max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories

[I tried the same thing with "aips=local:1" for aips
sessions 3 and 4.  In this case it aips3 started a new
TV et al. as desired (AIPSTV - UNIX-1)  and aips4
started another new (undesired)  TV et al. (AIPSTV -
UNIX-2).]

This isn't what I'm trying to do.  It seems like
somehow I am locking the local tv (AIPSTV - UNIX-?)
so they won't share with other aips sessions.

setups, or in the command I give to start / pick up
the second TV, but I don't know what or where.

Can you help?

Do I need to start the aips sessions 3 and 4 with a
different command?
Do I need to change something in my setup files?

Thanks much for any advice you can offer!
Susan