[daip] problems running multiple tv displays on different desktops

Susan Neff Susan.G.Neff at nasa.gov
Tue Feb 7 10:22:15 EST 2012

Hi Eric and/or Amy,

I have a new wrinkle.  AIPS is working fine on my
MacPro (Mac Os X, version 10.6.8 = SnowLeopard), as
long as I stay on one "desktop".  Today I tried to
start AIPS in a second desktop, when I already had it
running (in two windows & 1 TV on) a first desktop.  I
used the command

aips  tv=local:2

to start AIPS in a window on the second desktop.  AIPS
started up okay, and created a second message window
and second tek  window.  It tried but was not
successful in creating a second TV, and said the
following (about the tv - I didn't copy all of what it
said):

START_AIPS: Will use Unix Socket based TV number 2

START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost
asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - With Unix Sockets as requested...

Begin the one true AIPS number 3 (release of 31dec12)
at priority = 0
AIPS3:  You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS3:  You are assigned TV device/server 3

AIPS 3: Enter user ID number  [I did]

?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV2 on localhost
Trying to make hard link in
/Users/neff/aips/31DEC12/MACINT/LOAD to TVSERV.EXE
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS2 on localhost, DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-NyfcxI/org.x:0
Trying to make hard link XAS2 to XAS ...

XAS:  **TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS:  ***Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS:  Using screen width 1910 height 1078
          max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
Shared memory id failure: Cannot allocate memory

I tried just starting another aips window, without
specifying a TV, and it starts up a window that works
fine with the existing TV (on a different desktop).

So, there is some good discussion in the AIPS manager
FAQ for what to do with this error (shared memory id
failure) if it's in the initial session of AIPS.
However, the TV is working fine in the initial
session, and so I don't *think* I need to change the
things discussed in the FAQ.   However, I don't really
understand how shared memory works - do I need to
double/triple/...   the shared memory value for
kern.sys.shmmax  in /etc/sysctl.conf   if I want to
use two/three/...  TV displays at the same time?   Is
there something else I should change?   I'm running
with a 23 inch display, 1920 x 1200 pixels.

Thanks very much,
Susan