[daip] problem with a task 'rm'

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Dec 7 10:39:29 EST 2012

Vladimir Shoutenkov wrote:
> Dear Dr. Greisen,
>
> I have AIPS version 31DEC12 which I installed Jul 31, 2012.
>
> The problem is: there is no BPARM parameter in task 'rm' (see
> attachment).
>
> As I saw at website http://www.aips.nrao.edu/cgi-bin/ZXHLP2.PL?AFARS
> this parameter is presented in 2013 AIPS version. Isn't it?
>
> Should I reinstall my AIPS or should I do something else?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Vladimir Shoutenkov.

I am baffled by your question.  AFARS is a task meant to interpret the
output of the task FARS.  AFARS has an adverb BPARM to guide it in doing
this.

The task RM is completely independent (and much older) than the above 2
tasks.  It has an adverb APARM to guide it.

FARS uses the method of Faraday rotation measure synthesis - taking FFTs
along the lambda squared axis.  RM does a least-squares fit instead and
directly outputs an RM image while FARS outputs a cube image with
rotation measure as the first axis.  AFARS then makes an rm image by
finding the peaks along the rotation measure axis.

ERic Greisen