[daip] OBIT

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 27 12:30:22 EDT 2012

I have encountered 2 issues with OBIT:

1. The file sizes are exact in UV data files.  Thus they are not an
integer times 1 kilobyte as assumed in all of AIPS.  I ran the task
MOVE to copy a data set - it uses the file size as returned by ZEXIST
and it failed to copy 832 bytes.  When I ran UVCOP instead it made a
file 5120 bytes larger than the one made by MOVE or 4288 than the one
made by OBIT.  It would be convenient if OBIT rounded file sizes up to N
* 1024 bytes.

2. The permissions on the files written by OBIT are still
      -rw-r--r--
which makes it hard for me to read a user's files.  I have looked at the
AIPS file permissions things.  AIPS sets umask 002 which means that
"other" will not have write permission.  In ZCREA2 we do
         if ((fd = open
             (pathname, O_CREAT | O_EXCL | O_WRONLY, PMODE)) == -1) {
and
#define PMODE (S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR | S_IRGRP | S_IWGRP | S_IROTH | S_IWOTH)

which would put on rw for everybody (except umask stops the other write).

Point 2 affects me mostly and so is not so urgent but you might wish to
consider it.  Point 1 could be bad for users although it is not likely
to be.

Thanks

Eric