[daip] Error in the UVFIX task in AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 20 10:53:50 EDT 2012

Billie Taylor wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am having a bit of trouble in AIPS. I was calibrating two different
> VLA projects in AIPS, and when I got to the first CALIB task where I was
> calibrating my flux calibrator the task failed without giving me an
> error message. I reset to default calib and tried again to no avail. I
> moved on to different projects and a new error is popping up during the
> UVFIX task. When I run the task, it gives me the error "UVWCAL: ERROR
>  -1 READING FO/CL TABLE FOR DOPPLER" although the task and the rest of
> the calibration apparently completes successfully. What does this error
> mean, and how can I correct it? Also, are the calibrated files still
> viable despite the error? Thank you for your time!

This message is in fact rather complicated in its cause.  What it is
saying is that some combination of time, source, and antenna in your UV
data is not represented in your CL (or FO) table.  These tables are
supposed to contain a column with Doppler offsets to the frequency.  If
your data did not  track the Doppler change with time, then the absence
of this information is not important but it is curious that you have
some data that is not represented correctly in the CL table.  UVFIX
could have a better error message and I will fix that.

I am more worried about your other issue.  Does CALIB simply disappear
or does it die of unnatural causes with no other explanation?  What are
your inputs?  What does LISTR 'SCAN' say for this data set?