[daip] Problem in FRING

Walter Alef alef at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Tue Aug 7 05:43:51 EDT 2012

Dear Eric,

I encountered a problem when I tried to fringe fit a data set with 2 subarrays
in AIPS using FRING to determine IF phase differences (manual pcal).

The help files suggests you can run FRING with the adverb SUBARRAY  0=>all.
When determining solutions for a restricted timerange AND data is only in one
subarray the program seems to crash (see below) with a not very meaningful
error message.

Setting SUBARRAY  to the subarray with data works.

If the wrong subarray with no data is specified the program aborts with no
data selected.

localh> FRING1: Task FRING  (release of 31DEC12) begins
localh> FRING1: UVGET: Using flag table version   1 to edit data
localh> FRING1: AVERT: ERROR  -1 ON INIT DATA FOR READ
localh> FRING1:  START SUBARRAY    1 OF    2
localh> FRING1:  START SUBARRAY    2 OF    2
localh> FRING1: Selecting the data
localh> FRING1: Dividing data by source flux densities
localh> FRING1: Determining solutions
localh> FRING1: CATIO: CATBLK   2 IN USE, CAN'T WRITE
localh> FRING1: TABINI: ERROR  4 CATALOGING FILE SN NO   1
localh> FRING1: SNINI: ERROR   4 FROM TABINI OPCODE = WRIT
localh> FRING1: SNINI: ERROR INITIALIZING SOLUTION TABLE FOR WRIT
localh> FRING1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
localh> FRING1: vlb067 31DEC12 TST: Cpu=      0.2  Real=      1  IO=        64

        Regards,
                        Walter

Dr. Walter Alef
Head, VLBI Technology
Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy
Bonn, Germany
For private email use: walef at netcologne.de ---------------------------------